lifestyle’s growing threat - ‘stress & tension’ the sure
shoot way to come out of it is yoga-meditation.
Asanas (the physical exercises) are basically yogic postures
that help is stretching and strengthening the muscle,
ligaments, tendons and lubricating the joints. They help in
toning up your body and make it more flexible, supple and
beautiful. Some basic Asanas which can be practiced by anyone
regardless of age, sex or physical ability:
This pose helps in restoring the position of the spinal disc
and thus tones the spinal muscles. This asana is remarkably
beneficial in curing asthma, high blood pressure, cervical
spondylitis and heart diseases.
2. Salabhasana: This pose is good for digestion and for relieving gastric
problems, imparts elasticity to the spine, helps in problem of
slipped disc and prostate glands problems.
3. Payanmuktasana: This pose makes the spine supple and elastic, mobilises the
joints, invigorates the entire nervous system. It streches all the
muscles on the posterior side of the body. It is very helpful in
gastric problem, low B.P. and constipation.
4. Setubadhasana: It improves the blood circulation, releases tension from the
cervical, upper back and shoulder region. The people suffering
from slip disc and lumber spondylytis are benefited a lot from this
5. Uttanpadasana: This pose brings flexibility to the hip shoulder and knee joints
and has a curative effect on backaches by strengthening the spine.
It also reduces protruding tummy.
6. Naukasana: This pose removes lethargy and rejuvenates the whole body. It
is also useful in curing obesity, high Blood pressure and
7. Makarasana: This asana benefits liver, spleen and intestine. It helps remove
pain in back and hips. Neck muscles are strengthened to a great
Following are the eight advanced asanas and their benefits
1. Gyan Mudra: Good
2. Yog Nidra:
Good for relaxation, flexibility and joints pain.
3. Utthita ek Padsirasana: Good for spinal problems.
4. Omkar Asana:
Good for concentration,for arms and chest
5. Pachimottanasana: This pose helps all
the organs of the abdomen, the whole spine and
improves digestion. A longer stay in
also massages the heart.
6. Dhanurasana: This pose removes lethargy, very good for gastric and
7. Shirshasana: Stops greying and falling of hair, improve eye sight.
8. Mayurasana: Good for intestine and abdomen, indigestive